Saturday, January 3, 2015

A Few Good Reads from 2014

I asked for a couple books for Christmas which I received and am excited to start reading.  Why are new books so fun?  I think I enjoy making a reading list more than actually reading.  No, I really do enjoy reading - it's just finding the time these days!  As I was reflecting over ALL the books I've read in 2014, I could only think of 3!  THREE!  I almost had a heart attack!  But then I remembered another one I had forgotten about, and technically I'm a third through my current book... so that brings the grand total to 4 and 1/3 books read last year.  I know, pretty pathetic ;)

One thing about motherhood that I've learned is that you have to accept the season that you are in.  I am loving every day of being a mom, but my life has limitations right now.  And if that means I only read 4.33 books a year than I guess I have to be okay with that.  Especially when I am not in control of what each day brings or the year for that matter.  Like the first three months of the year when my daughter went through a major sleep regression (that she technically never came out of)!!  But what finally came was the realization and acceptance that our bionic baby requires less sleep than a grown adult.   So all that to say, my expectations of what I can accomplish in a twenty-four hour period must change as well.  Nevertheless, I did read my Bible every day.  The first opportunity I have each day will always be spent in God's Word.  That's a must for me - an absolute lifeline for this weary mama.  And that's really the best thing I can be reading!

And since it's hard to remember what I ate for lunch let alone what books I read last year, I'll list them here with a few good recommendations...

Loving the Little Years: Motherhood in the Trenches by Rachel Jankovic = Loved it!  Every new mama needs to read it.  It's a tiny book with short chapters - all filled with memorable stories and practical lessons on motherhood.  A must read!

Great Parents, Lousy Lovers: Discover How to Enjoy Life with Your Spouse While Raising Your Kids by Gary Smalley & Ted Cunningham = I thought it would be a good idea to alternate the parenting books with a book on marriage, and I was intrigued by the title.  Again, it was an easy read which was nice =) There were some interesting points in the book like, "Your children are only with you (in your house) for 18 years and your spouse a lifetime."  I admit I teared up on that one!  But I can see how parenthood creates a new obstacle for every marriage.  It's like you have doubled the workload in your home and have half the time to get it done.  Overall, it was a good read.

Leaving Ordinary: Encounter God Through Extraordinary Prayer by Donna Gaines = Our pastor's wife wrote this as part of the InScribed Collection through Thomas Nelson.  I loved learning about the tabernacle and how we can minister to the Lord through prayer!  I have such a strong visual after reading this of what the articles in the tabernacle mean and how I can apply them to my life.  Prayer is definitely a subject we can always grow in, especially as mothers!  Oh, how I want to be known as a praying mother!

Unwrapping the Greatest Gift: A Family Celebration of Christmas by Ann Voskamp = Our family read this advent devotional during the month of December, and I highly recommend it!  In fact, it is an excellent gift to give family members, friends and neighbors over the holidays.  Ann Voskamp has a way of explaining theology that is simple to grasp for the young child, and at the same time deep and reflective for the seasoned scholar.  What a gift for the whole family!   We plan on reading through this book every Christmas season.

I am currently reading Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp, and already give it five stars.  This will be a great resource for years to come on Biblical discipline.

I have a bookshelf full of parenting books that I plan to read over the next couple of years, but would love to hear your favorites!  After all, I sure do love making those lists!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

© 2010. All Rights Reserved. | Custom Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs