Snapshots of 2012


It's halfway through January by now but I can't leave out one of my favorite posts of the year... snapshots of 2012!  You can also see snapshots of 2009, 2010, and 2011.  This has been a really BIG year.  I am amazed by all the blessings and goodness the Lord has poured into our lives this year.  I will never forget this year.

1. Bryant has officially flown the C-5 for the last time!  Can I get an AMEN!  He flew that plane for 7 years and the military finally decided it was time to retire old Freddy.  The guard is getting a new type of plane this year, the C-17.  A newer, more reliable plane.  Which means a more predictable schedule.  Yes, this is really, really good news!  I can't believe this day is finally here. 

2. Miles is five!  He's had a good year - no major doctor visits this year!  He is as cute as ever and so is that little big personality of his.  My habit when leaving the house is to look for him watching from the window by the front door.  And his favorite spot (at the moment) indoors is anything that resembles a tunnel... under the covers when I'm making the bed, under the throw when my feet are up on the coffee table, and in between our new ottoman and the couch.


3. We celebrated our TENTH anniversary this year!!!  What a milestone.  An entire decade as a married couple.  We sound so official, don't we?  Life is fun when you're married to your best friend.  Here's to the next 10 years!


4. Our big vacation this year was our anniversary trip to Asheville, North Carolina.  We visited the Biltmore, ate the most amazing farm to table cuisine, and spent half a day driving through the Smoky Mountains.  The last two nights of our trip we stayed at Blackberry Farm, an absolute dream destination.  These cold, winter days have me daydreaming of our next visit.




5. We took a couple weekend trips last year.  A spring weekend to Seaside, Florida which was another spot we had wanted to visit for awhile.  And my little sister and I took a girls' trip to Nashville for her 30th birthday!  We had a blast!  We started the day with the best brunch in downtown Nashville, spent the afternoon shopping at Nordstrom, and stayed overnight in a five star hotel.  We are definitely going to have to do that again!




6. 2012 was full of ministry.  I had the privilege of being in three discipleship groups!  Yes, it was a full schedule but I'm thankful to have been a part of each one.  Our pastor frequently mentions that you need three types of people in your life: a mentor (a Paul), an encourager (a Barnabas), and a disciple (a Timothy).  I realized recently that these "three people" were represented in each of the three discipleship groups from last year.  I was in a leader group where I was surrounded by older, wiser "Pauls."  The second group was an encouraging group with ladies that were in the same stage of life as me - these were my "Barnanbases."  The third group gave me an opportunity to pass down spiritual truths that I had learned from God's Word to "Timothys" who can one day pass down to other faithful women.  What an amazing year!  I know every year will not necessarily look this full for ministry but I am so blessed to have experienced discipleship in such life-changing ways last year.

7. Because 2012 was full of discipleship, the overflow was the opportunity to speak at three women's ministry events.  I had the honor of speaking at a Chronological Bible Teaching Women's Conference in Ullin, IL.  That was definitely a stretching experience!  This past fall I spoke at two women's ministry events, one at Lifepoint Church in Senatobia and the other at First Baptist Church of Olive Branch. 

8. I am still reading through the One Year Chronological Bible.  I have now read it through three times.  After the third time, I was contemplating a different reading plan but I couldn't do it.  The Old Testament beckons me so I decided to read it for a fourth time.  I know at some point I'll change things up a bit for variety sake but I'll have to take it a year at a time ;)

9. I'm really proud of my reading list last year although I can take no credit for it!  That was part of the leader group I mentioned.  We read one book a month and then discussed it as a group.  I'll share it with you in case you want to borrow the list.

Leader Group Reading List: Beautiful Outlaw by John Eldredge, The Secret by Ken Blanchard, The Meaning of Marriage by Timothy Keller, Connecting by Larry Crabb, Tempted and Tried by Russell Moore, The Jesus We Missed by Patrick Henry Reardon, Not Kwowing Where by Oswald Chambers, and The Knowledge of the Holy by A.W. Tozer

That list kept me pretty busy so the only fiction books I read were The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins and I also read Already Gone by Ken Ham in preparation for one of my speaking engagements.

10. My one word for 2011 was wait.  After compiling this list it is evident my one word for 2012 was grow.  Not every year can be a "grow" year.  But I think there's a lesson in recognizing the wait comes before the grow.  You can't predict a grow year but you can look back and see the growth that has taken place.  In your family, your relationships, your life experiences, your heart, your mind and in your soul.

 “For as the rain comes down, and the snow from heaven,
And do not return there,
But water the earth,
And make it bring forth and bud,
That it may give seed to the sower
And bread to the eater,
 So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth;
It shall not return to Me void,
But it shall accomplish what I please,
And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it."
{Isaiah 55:10,11}


Looking forward to it, 2013!!!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts