Kale. It's What's for Dinner.

List of top 30 superfoods

It's not likely that I will ever enjoy collard or turnip greens so when I heard that kale was one of the top superfoods I thought I would give it a try.  Anything with a "1,000" after it's name is pretty impressive, right?  What I was not expecting is how delicious it is!  I could eat it all the time!  And since I'm a trend eater, that just might come true.  We've tried several different recipes for dinner and this is one of my favorites.  This dish is the perfect balance of sweet and savory.  Tonight we grilled chicken to go with the kale but it could also stand on its own as a good vegetarian option. 

Kale and White Beans
  Kale and White Beans

1 bunch of fresh kale, washed and stemmed
14 ounces canned white beans, rinsed and drained (I used cannellini beans)
4-6 garlic cloves, peeled and diced
1 medium tomato, sliced thinly
1 medium onion, peeled and sliced thinly
4-6 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (I used 1 tablespoon)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon thyme
1/4 - 1/3 cup asiago cheese, sliced thinly

Directions: Heat the olive oil slowly in a large frying pan.  Chop kale into large strips and set aside.  Saute onion and garlic over medium-heat until they begin to turn color.  Do not burn.  Stir in brown sugar, oregano and thyme.  Stir gently for another minute or two until the sugar has disappeared.  If you need to add more olive oil, do so at this point.  You need a thin layer of hot oil covering the bottom of the pan.  Stir the chopped kale into the hot oil mix.  As you stir it in, it will wilt down to a manageable size.  Stir kale gently for a few minutes, just long enough to cook it down.  Stir in the drained, rinsed beans, the balsamic vinegar and the salt.  Lay the tomato slices on top and then the thinly sliced asiago on top of the tomatoes.  Turn off heat or turn down very low, cover and let steam for 5 minutes.  Serve hot. 

Comments

  1. I will definitely try this! We've bought kale a few times and I haven't really known how to best use it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts