Saturday, May 7, 2011

DIY: Colored Chalkboard Frame

This is a proud moment for me.  Who would have thought I would be adding those three capital letters to one of my blog posts?  Now, don't judge too harshly because technically only half of this project was a DIY, but it's a start, right?

I was invited to a blessing dinner several weeks ago for one of my dear friends who was expecting her first little girl.  The invite said to bring a blessing in the form of words and a gift.  My blessing to the new mom was a blessing on words.  Words that teach her little girl God's Word and ways, words that are kind and encouraging, and words that praise and not criticize.  For my gift. I thought of using chalkboard paint to show how she can leave encouraging notes for her daughter and words from Scripture for teaching and instructing.  My inspiration came from one of Natalie's posts.  If you haven't seen her blog, it's a must!

With a quick trip to Sheffield Antiques, I found this framed picture with the picture raised in the middle surrounded by burlap and thought it was perfect for my chalkboard frame.  To make this project from scratch, you could make the frame yourself and insert your fabric of choice.  And you could use wood or glass in the middle of the frame as the chalkboard surface.

Step 1: Tape the edges of your surface so the paint doesn't get on the burlap or fabric.  I used Rust-Oleum Chalkboard Tint Base in Raspberry.  They have over a dozen colors to choose from!  Cover the surface completely with the chalkboard base and let dry.  Reapply until you reach the desired coverage and thickness.  I used quite a few coats since my background was darker and switched to a mini-roller instead of brush to eliminate streaking.


Step 2: Once the surface is completely dry, staple ribbon to the back of the frame for hanging.


Step 3: Add a piece of colored chalk.  Since the frame I used was recessed, it was perfect for holding the chalk in place.  Her colors were pink and yellow, which looked really cute together.


If you want to make this DIY, make sure to start your project early.  *In order to test your finished project, you will need to let the paint dry for 3 days.  Once cured, you have to prepare the surface for chalk by rubbing side of chalk over entire surface and then erase.  Don't forget to throw in a chalkboard eraser!

And here is the finished project...


"And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart.  You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them... you shall bind them... you shall write them..." - Deuteronomy 6:6-9

Shop Local:
Chalkboard Tint Base: Home Depot
Ribbon and colored chalk: Hobby Lobby
Chalkboard eraser: The Knowledge Tree

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

© 2010. All Rights Reserved. | Custom Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs