Candy Cane Cake Pops


I finally made my first cake pops!  I've been wanting to try Bakerella's cake pops for awhile, and when I saw these festive treats on Hostess with the Mostess I just couldn't hold off any longer.  They reminded me of my favorite candy from Godiva, the Candy Cane Truffle.

I had a lot of fun making these cake pops.  They were time consuming, but now that I've made them and know what to expect I don't think it would take as long the next time.  Adding the red ribbon to the lollipop sticks took an extra 30-45 minutes, but it completed the look.  Plus I didn't have to decorate the pops with any detailed faces, so that saved some time on the other end.  I would recommend adding the ribbon before dipping the cake pop as it's much easier to be precise without cake on the end of your stick!

A few other cake pop tips: Don't forget to add the peppermint extract to the cake batter!  I remembered that minor detail while the first cake was in the oven.  Also, I used paramount crystals as a thinning agent in the candy melts as recommended by a local baking shop.  Without the crystals, my candy melts would have been too thick for that perfectly smooth, Bakerella-style candy coating. 

For the crushed candy canes, I used King Leo Soft Peppermint Stick Candy instead of hard candy canes.  I would definitely substitute the softer candy again.  For the second design with bright red candy melt stripes, I would use a smaller tip next time.  I used the #4 tip on these, and it gave me a thicker stripe than I wanted.


I gave some of these cake pops to co-workers at our Christmas party.  I wrapped them individually with mini treat bags and leftover ribbon.  Then I placed the pops in brown paper mache gift bags that were just the right height for the cake pops to peak over the edge.  Bryant cut small pieces of Styrofoam for each bag so the cake pops would stand up straight while transporting them.  


I didn't know what to expect when I took my first bite of cake pop.  Let's just say there will be many more in my future =)

Shop Local:
Brown Paper Gift bags, Mini Treat Bags, 1/8" Red Ribbon: Hobby Lobby
King Leo Soft Peppermint Stick Candy: Cracker Barrel
Paramount Crystals, Lollipop Sticks, Candy Melts: Mary Carter Decorating Store
Peppermint Extract: Kroger

Comments

  1. The cake pops look amazing!
    We made chocolate peppermint dipped pretzels. Good idea to use a candy cane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So just got confused...the choc peppermint dipped candy cameos were on kacie's blog! Oopps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so good! Great job! I might have to do some for Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts