Monday, October 11, 2010

The Bible in One Year


The start of this month marked the completion of my first year reading through the Bible chronologically.  I started The One Year Chronological Bible NIV last fall along with Iva May's One Year Chronological Bible Devotional Study.  Reading God's Word and reading it chronologically has changed my life.  It is my intention to read through the Bible every year and in chronological order.  As I reflect over the past year, here are a few things that have made quite an impression:

1. 75% of the Bible is Old Testament!  Why have we spent 75% of our time studying the New Testament?

2. It only takes three months to read through the New Testament.  Out of those three months, the Gospels only take up six weeks (September 28 - November 11).

3. It was a lot harder than it seemed to keep up with the daily readings.  Missing a day or two turned into several days off schedule and before long I was two weeks behind.

4.  My goal this past year was to finish in a year - some days I read only half of the passage while other days were spent playing catch up reading as many as four passages in one day.  This year my goal is to not miss any days and to actually stay on schedule.

5. Reading the entire Bible through in a year helps us to get our doctrine from Scripture (exegesis) and prevents us from bringing our opinions to Scripture (eisegesis).

6.  Scripture shows us story after story and tells us over and over again that God is a merciful God.  And He is so very compassionate.

7. The people in the Bible were real people with real circumstances and they were so very flawed.

8. My favorite book is Genesis.  Love it.  I recently was told the book of Genesis spans approximately 2,000 years of history.

9. My second favorite book is Deuteronomy.  I don't think I could ever forget the Blessings and Cursings chapter (28).

10. We are commanded all throughout Scripture to care for the poor and the oppressed.

11. Faith is the only way to please God.  "... for he that comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him." (Hebrews 11:6)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

© 2010. All Rights Reserved. | Custom Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs