Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Staycation

A staycation is a neologism for a period of time in which an individual or family stays at home and relaxes at or takes day trips from their home to area attractions. Some staycationers also like to follow a set of rules, such as setting a start and end date, planning ahead, and avoiding routine, with the goal of creating the feel of a traditional vacation.


This is what I read on Wikipedia after googling staycation one night as Bryant and I were discussing our vacation plans. He had just gotten back from a trip and the next week we had blocked out some days for a short beach trip. I love the beach and getting away just the two of us, but for some reason(s) I wasn't looking forward to it this time. I was dreading the packing and long car ride and if the fact that you are about to go on vacation doesn't outweigh both of those factors than there's a good chance you have too much going on. And we did. We were in the middle of half a dozen house projects plus I had just gotten back from Vegas, so I wasn't just dying to get away. I actually was looking forward to staying home and relaxing while finishing up a couple of projects. And Bryant felt the same way. As soon as I threw out the hypothetical scenario of us foregoing our vacation for a week at home, Bryant couldn't agree more. It was settled. Our first staycation.

We had planned to be gone Tuesday through Saturday on our trip so we allowed the same amount of time for our staycation. We didn't plan too much ahead of time except that we knew we would have to make an effort to avoid routine and do things we normally don't do every day or at least every day for a week's time. We did a pretty good job of relaxing while being at home. In fact we didn't go beyond a five mile radius from our house, except for church on Wednesday night. Here's a rundown of what our week looked like at home...

We went to the pool every day. We had my parents' pool to ourselves during the day which was very relaxing.

We ate dessert every day. This was my favorite poolside snack thanks to my recent Costco trip; I figured I needed all those antioxidants to fight those free radicals outside ;)


We went out for breakfast. Of course what's a vacation staycation without french toast from Java Cafe.

I went to lunch at Deli Mexicana with a friend that I've been trying to get together with for the last four weeks. And Bryant and I went out with some friends Friday night for dinner at Jim's Place Grille. Our schedules are so sporadic that a simple thing as a dinner out with another couple can be a challenge to coordinate - so the time at home proved a good chance to catch up with friends.

While I was at lunch, Bryant worked around the house installing a fan in our guest room and cutting down a couple small trees in our backyard.

Throughout the week I settled on a few pieces of furniture for the house. I bought this sofa for our living room from Broom Corn Fabrics and have some fabric on order for our dining room curtains.


We also had two hot water heaters replaced. A few days before that we had a new air conditioning unit put in - let me tell you we are proud of it! I know that sounds ridiculous to say but as a homeowner you care about things like appliances and find yourself having conversations about efficiency and cost savings. And even though I was halfway joking, as they finished installing our new A/C unit I actually said out loud, "it's a beauty."

Maybe we'll take a late summer or early fall trip to the beach, but for now I am very glad we stayed at home. We managed to balance some time off from work plus getting things done around the house. And the best part was when our staycation was over we had no car ride home, no unpacking and no laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

© 2010. All Rights Reserved. | Custom Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs