It's Just a Bumper

God spoke the same message to me over and over this week. I heard at least four times throughout the week a word on thankfulness. Starting Sunday morning in Bible Fellowship class, I wrote in my notes, "trust Him IN all things." Tuesday night, Jean Stockdale spoke on the faith walk and how "God doesn't just allow bad things, He orchestrates them." Wednesday morning, I read Iva's post on Hezekiah and his ungrateful heart. She defins ingratitude as "spiritual madness." And then on Thursday, Laurin shared how she is cultivating thankfulness in her children by teaching them to be thankful FOR the little things in life. I love her story how S mentions her purple flip flops when sharing the things she is thankful for. Aren't we generally thankful for the big and obvious things, but tend to overlook the small and minute? Of course, we could get to the place (and have been there) where we lack thankfulness for the big things in our life as well like King Hezekiah did. He was healed, he was delivered and he was answered yet his heart was so proud that he offered no thanks FOR any of it. How do we guard our hearts from such ingratitude? GIVE THANKS. FOR all things. IN all things.

IN = Miles had to get five staple stitches on Monday from a careless grooming accident.

FOR = I am thankful that he is okay. It could have been a lot worse. My mom spoke to her CPA a few days later and she took her dog to the same place and he fell off the table! I am thankful that the Lord protected my little M from a more serious injury. (By the way, we will definitely be finding another groomer.)

FOR = An awesome church that teaches the Word of God through a wonderful Women's Ministry event on Tuesday evenings this summer. A loving church that opens her doors to the community where thousands of lost people get to use the facilities. And for the JESUS banner that is front and center of our sanctuary so that everyone who walks into our church sees His Name high and exalted.

FOR = Answered prayer. The Lord gave me an opportunity to share the Gospel with a contact through work on Wednesday. He is a Jehovah's Witness and I have been praying for him for over a year now. I had prayed for the right time during the busy work day to share with him since he was only in town for a day and a half. The first ten minutes I saw him he brought up the J.W. convention he had just come back from. I prayed, "You want me to share right now?" And in that moment the Lord spoke to my heart, "It's go time." And all I did was open my mouth and the resurrection power of the Holy Spirit gave me the words to say and the boldness to say it.

IN = Thursday, I randomly bumped into a parked car in a parking lot and now I need a new bumper.

FOR = It wasn't random. I completely believe it was orchestrated by God. Yes, there was a reason why my car was parked next to the elderly lady's car that was halfway in my lane and I didn't even notice it. There was a reason God wanted me to meet that sweet lady and her 3 grown daughters. They couldn't believe that I stuck around to find out whose car it was and didn't just drive off. She even called me later that afternoon still amazed that I had been "so honest." I told her I was a Christian and that is why I was honest. I wonder if she is a Christian. I don't know if I'll get to speak with her again through this process but I am thankful that IN this situation, God gave me the grace to not get upset and to trust Him. After all it's just a bumper.

IN = Friday came and my hubby wasn't home yet.

FOR = I am thankful that he has a job. In this economy, where so many have lost their jobs how can I not be so grateful for B's job? Even though he doesn't always make it home for the weekend, I give thanks.

FOR = For breakfast this morning, I enjoyed fresh blueberries on my cereal from our blueberry bush. I am thankful for my little harvest. It reminds me that we sow the seed and we water it, but God makes it grow.

Comments

  1. Beautiful post! Great reminder! Hope Miles feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post, Melissa. Let us be exalted in Christ and for His names' sake. So encouraging to read your words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A blueberry bush. so fun! Poor Miles =( Thanks for those encouraging reminders. He is in all things and in Him all things hold together!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts