Saturday, June 26, 2010

Settling In

About two years ago Bryant bought me an orchid. I was so excited - I had always wanted one. He showed me how to water it and we found the perfect spot for it in our sunroom where it would catch the morning sun. I was so proud of it. One day as I was bragging about it, I told a lady that Bryant had bought me an orchard.

She looked at me surprised and said, "Really? Bryant bought you an orchard?"

"Oops, I meant orchid." It was an orchard to me. I loved that thing. Almost as much as I loved our house. It was the first home we had bought and we truly loved it. Bryant had just finished pilot training and we were moving back home for good. I remember on the day of closing, our attorney asked us how long we were planning to live there. We told him our intentions were five to seven years, leaning toward the "seven years" side. He replied the average move is every two years and predicted we would do the same. We looked at him politely while thinking he was crazy.

I assumed it would take six months to a year to settle in. There's something about spending your first Christmas in a house that makes it a home. A year went by and I still didn't feel "settled". Two years went by and I just came to the realization that it wasn't so much the home that gives you that sense of rest but the place you are at in your life. After all, we were adjusting to new work schedules and in time, I thought the settling would come. But it didn't.

The idea of moving sooner that we had planned became a topic of conversation. And then the topic became a regular and we began to "explore our options." After a weekend of house shopping, we would always come to the same conclusion and the subject would become just a topic again.

There were a handful of times after much discussion I would emphatically say out loud, "We are just going to stay here another ___ years." Then God would speak, but He whispered. And a whisper is hard to hear when you're not listening for it. So we waited and He whispered again. And again. Sometimes it sounded like He was speaking a little louder. I'm not sure if He was or if by combining several whispers, the volume is so loud you cannot mistake what you are hearing. Regardless, I am thankful that God is patient with us and will confirm His will to us until we "get it". The key is to keep an open heart and seek Him diligently. And once you know what He is saying, you must do it.

Although not always the case, as soon as we put the sign in our yard, the rest was easy. We sold our house quickly, so quickly that we moved in with my parents for a few months. And you would think that would make the unsettled feeling worse. But it didn't. I remember the last minutes that Bryant and I spent in our house together before turning over our keys. They were minutes of joy and gratitude. We had lived there a total of three and a half years and as we drove off, we had instant closure. It's uncanny how obedience brings resolve, especially for the child of God.

Along with our possessions, we took our orchid to my parents' house and it found its place by the window in their hearth room. Not adhering to the old adage, "Timing is everything," we began a new watering schedule for our lovely plant.

Months went by and finally, the day before Thanksgiving we moved into our new home. We brought our orchid with and set it by our kitchen window. Only one bloom was left and it was dried up. Even Miles knew it. When he would walk by it, he would push his nose into it as to say, "It's dead, can I eat it?"

Moving in right before the holidays was a challenge but it was also fun. We celebrated our first Christmas at home and even managed to put up the tree. The moment we finished unpacking the last box in sight, we sat down and didn't get back up until winter was over.

With the arrival of spring came a second wind to pick up where we had left off on our house projects. Bryant began landscaping projects and cleaning out the garage while I finished the few remaining boxes and began shopping to fill in pieces here and there.

Bryant bought several other plants to put on the patio so they could be seen from the kitchen windows. My attention turned to watering the new plants and making sure they survived. One day Bryant pulled me aside and pointed to a short green stem emerging from the roots of the orchid. I couldn't believe it. After it grew a good six inches, he clipped the stem to a stake so it would grow straight.

It wasn't long after we saw the new growth that a few buds appeared. And then this week.

I'm not sure at what point over the seven months we've been here that it happened. All I know is I am at that place where I wanted to be, and most importantly where God wanted me to be. Brother Steve said in one of his sermons that some people don't believe God cares where you live, what part of town you live in or who your neighbors are. He said he thinks it does matter to God. And I do too.

We have all turned into major homebodies here, including Miles. And this week even the orchid let us know it feels right at home too.

2 comments:

  1. An orchid seems like it would be much easier to maintain than an orchard :). I am impressed that you've been able to keep your orchid alive and thriving! I bought an orchid for my mother-in-law a few years ago and have always wanted one for myself, but am not sure if I'd be able to keep it alive. Every indoor plant I have had seems to end up on the floor due to John Harrison's curiosity.
    I would love to see your new home!! The house pictures you posted a few months ago look amazing! Renovations are stressful and a lot of work, but also so enjoyable after they are complete.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should get one for yourself - i can share with you what not to do :) What a great idea for a gift.

    We'll have to have you over for dinner when you get back in town and bring J.H.!

    ReplyDelete

 

© 2010. All Rights Reserved. | Custom Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs