Bees and Butterflies

Last month when my sister was in town, she informed me on the honey bee shortage predicted for this year. Apparently the honey bees have been vanishing from the U.S. for a couple of decades. This year's harsh winter contributed to the growing problem. Other suspected factors include loss of habitat, viruses and pesticides, and genetically modified crops. I have read several articles on these disappearing bees and the phenomenon has been referred to as the colony collapse disorder since 2006. (As if we didn't have enough disorders, now the bees have their own.) Not only are bees responsible for pollinating flowers but vegetables, fruits and nuts.

This spring we had some landscaping work done in our backyard and it was brought to our attention that we had a large blueberry bush in our garden. I had no idea that a blueberry begins as a white flower with pale pink edges and that every flower must be pollinated by a bee in order to become a fruit. Ever since our fascinating discovery, I've been keeping my eye on that blueberry bush as it slowly progresses.

Bees are the main source of pollination for most plants, but their fluttering friends are known to help out as well. On top of my concern for the bees, Bryant brings to my attention that there will also be a shortage of Monarch butterflies this year. The flooding and devastating mudslides that took place in Mexico this past winter destroyed the butterflies' habitats. Scientists are asking people across the country to plant milkweed to help recreate the habitat that has been lost. I have only seen 1 Monarch so far this spring.

So you can imagine my reaction when I ran across this garden sign at The Fresh Market. I just had to have it.

We put it right in front of the blueberry bush and by the looks of things, it appears the worker bees have made their way to us after all.

Comments

  1. I love this post. So cool! Will you bring me some blueberries?! I also love love love the brunch post. Super cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yes, I will bring you some when they are ripe. I'm hoping in another few weeks or so.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts