Banana Cake

I had two reasons to bake tonight, well three actually. I had 2 overly ripe bananas that would not make it another day; my sister, brother-in-law and nephews are coming in town tomorrow and I wanted to try my new mixer. A couple of weeks ago our mixer died while making homemade biscuits. Oh well, it lasted for 8 years. Lee recently mentioned that she bought a mixer from the Williams-Sonoma Outlet and so I followed suit and purchased a $90 mixer for $39!

Last time my sister came in I made homemade banana bread, so I wanted to make something different this time. Plus I'm trying to cut back on sugar and banana bread has lots of white sugar and white flour in it. Now don't worry, I'm not getting any crazy ideas about cutting out sugar completely. I like cupcakes way too much to do that. Just trying to cut back and think of sugar as a treat not part of the food pyramid.

This Banana Cake is very simple and calls for only 6 ingredients. Instead of white flour, it calls for nut flour. I used almond flour because it is low in carbohydrates and is a good source of vitamin E, fiber and protein. You can get it at Whole Foods Market.

1. Beat 3 eggs.

2. Mash 2 extra ripe bananas.

3. Add 3 cups of nut flour, ½ - ⅔ cup of honey (I used ½ cup), 1 teaspoon baking soda and ¼ cup of melted butter (not in picture).

4. Mix all ingredients (with spatula not mixer).


5. Pour into a buttered baking pan and bake at 350°F until top springs back when touched (about 40 minutes).

6. Let cool for 30 minutes before serving. Serves 12.

Now this Banana Cake is not your traditional "cake". Think of it as an alternative to banana bread. Great for breakfast with coffee or for a mid-afternoon snack with tea.

Comments

  1. yum! i may have to try this. what is almond flour? is there an alternate flour that i can buy at the normal grocery? going to whole foods is not practical for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almond flour is just finely ground almonds. I have quite a few recipes that call for it and everything I've made is really good! It gives a nutty flavor to baked goods and it is more satisfying than goods baked with white flour.

    Hmmm...I'll look next time I go to Kroger. Now that they have a larger health section, they might be carrying it. It is more expensive than regular flour because almonds are expensive, but all the recipes call for so few ingredients I think it makes up for it. And you don't feel guilty eating it ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts