Another Rainy September Day

I woke up this Sunday morning with a sore throat and pounding headache due to sinuses and so did not make it to church. I was bummed about missing church; I absolutely love my Bible Fellowship class. It really feels like a family and when I've missed a week I always look forward to reconnecting with my family, the body of Christ, the next Sunday.

There's not much to do when you don't feel 100%, and since it started out as another rainy September day I was hoping I could sink into a cozy corner of the house and read all day if my headache would allow. Yesterday I finished another Philippa Gregory book on the Tudor Dynasty, so this morning I needed to choose my next read. I enjoy many types of fiction and very rarely read the same author back to back. I went upstairs to browse my sister's collection (she has an amply stocked bookshelf as do all English majors) and wedged in between Shakespeare and Hemingway, The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis caught my eye.

Every time I have ever heard a synopsis on The Screwtape Letters, I got the impression it was intense, dark, and maybe even a little creepy. One would think so with demons named, Screwtape and Wormwood, as the main characters. Well, let me reassure you it is not creepy. At least the first third of the book hasn't been at all. As far as the intensity, it depends on your definition of the human heart or more specifically your response when reading what could likewise be titled, "101 Insights to My Soul." In the preface, Lewis claims his heart gave him all the material needed to write the Letters. And so I have one thing in common with Lewis, a desperate and deceitful human heart which can relate to every chapter of this book as though it was written about me. My incessant underlining of the text attests to it.

I would highly recommend reading this book if you haven't already. It has 31 short chapters, and in the first paragraph of each, Lewis introduces topics such as relationships, prayer, the mind, and new acquaintances. I will have plenty to share after I finish this book. For now, I'll leave you with the closing paragraph from the 12th Letter where Screwtape is advising Wormwood on how to distract believers:

You will say that these are very small sins; and doubtless, like all young tempters, you are anxious to be able to report spectacular wickedness. But do remember, the only thing that matters is the extent to which you separate the man from the Enemy (God). It does not matter how small the sins are, provided that their cumulative effect is to edge the man away from the Light and out into the Nothing. Murder is no better than cards if cards can do the trick. Indeed, the safest road to Hell is the gradual one-the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts.

And so I found a gem on this rainy September day in this brilliant piece of work by C.S. Lewis.

Comments

  1. Thanks! (regarding my blog)tell miles I will think about the maltese but NO YORKIES! their cute as a bug and I really love the tiny ones but they just don't potty train! ewww! :)
    By the way,
    I'm reading the Screwtape letters right now!
    In fact I referenced on my blog this morning as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excuse me, I meant to say:
    In fact, I referenced it on my blog this morning as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts